Congratulations on your decision to use
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint
and anti-graffiti paint
If this is your first time applying the product, here are a few suggestions to make your installation more successful.
All personnel involved need to read and understand all directions, MSDS’s and product information.
Apply in a well ventilated room with fresh air access,
cover or close all room vents and close the door during application and dry time.
Keep free from dust and other surface contaminates.
Always use all safety equipment and procedures.
Apply so that there is not any air trapped in the product;
slowly brush and use rollers so that air will not be entrenched.
Keep the lid tight on the container when not dispensing.
Completely and evenly cover the desired area applying the product in multiple directions,
to help avoid skipped or thinly-coated areas.
Call us toll-free 1.855.533.7273 during regular business hours, U.S.A. central time zone,
with any questions and concerns before, during, and after use.
Your New Dry Erase Surface will be ready for dry erase marker use in as little as
24 hours after your application has dried!
-based on applying in regular room temperature,
regular humidity, over a regular cured latex prepped painted wall (see below).
Application / Installation Instructions
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint / anti-graffiti paint
IMPORTANT: Remove contact lenses for eyes, use full wrap safety goggles, face mask and gloves. Keep wet product from skin and clothing. Apply in a well ventilated area; use respirator and/or special masks for chemical application if needed. Follow tool and machine instructions. Read, understand, and follow the MSDS and product information sheets before using. Use caution when using this or any paint product. Not for consumption or use over substrates other than described. To only be installed by professional qualified and competent individuals in controlled environments. Check for compatibility and desirability. Not to be installed around pregnant women. Keep away from children, pets (animals), plants and non-competent individuals. Dispose of excess product, brushes, and installation materials according to local and federal directives/ordinances. Test for compatibility and desirability. If in doubt or if not in complete understanding and agreement of any information relating to the product; do not use product and return unopened product for refund or credit.
1) PRODUCT STORAGE: Store product to achieve room temperature of 65-80 degrees F for 24 hours before using. Continuous and temporary storage should be between 60 and 90 degree F in low to regular humidity areas, away from children, animals, incompetent individuals, and food; keep from ignition sources and damage; store up to 3 months after production date or sales date. Keep product clean from cap threads (may seal cap), keep container tightly closed with container screw cap, use within two days after opening container; product may solidify in container after opening. If stored product skins over the top, remove skinning or strain product, and apply.
2) SURFACE PREPARATION: All dirt, oil, dust, foreign contaminants and laitance (for concrete) must be removed to assure a trouble free bond to the substrate. Test areas for suitability.
Indoor painted surfaces (Dry Erase and Anti-graffiti use): apply over interior top-coat latex or oil-based surface that is smooth, dry and cured.
Indoor unprimed surfaces (Dry Erase and Anti-graffiti use): apply appropriate primer of color preference over unprimed surfaces like chalkboards and tempered hardboard, and apply interior top-coat latex or oil-based paint. Use medium (80 grit) sandpaper on existing dry erase surfaces, remove dust and allow to completely dry.
For outdoor concrete (Anti-graffiti use): apply over correct hydrostatic pressure dry concrete (test: completely tape a 4’x4’ plastic sheet over all edges to the substrate. Coating can be applied if the area under the plastic sheet remains dry after 24 hours.).
3) PRODUCT MIXING: The product does not require stirring. If stirred, stir without trapping air.
4) PRODUCT APPLICATION: Read and understand all instructions before applying product. The material can be applied with a good quality All-Purpose brush, a regular foam roller, a high quality zero-lint low-nap roller or an airless sprayer (follow sprayer instructions for urethane, polyurethane and solvent products). Use new application utensils (tray, roller, etc) for each kit/container. Properly prepare the substrate (see above). Test for compatibility and desirability. Completely cover the entire surface avoiding air entrapment, skipped, and thinly applied areas. Apply the total amount of product to match the completed coverage area amount for the amount of product (approximately 1 ounce of product per 3 square feet of applied surface), back-roll and layer. Cover wall area below application in case of drips. Additional layers may be required on non-smooth, absorbent surfaces, or darker existing wall colors. Outdoor Application: For a thicker total coating over concrete (5-10 mils dry) mechanical scarification or acid etching until a suitable profile is achieved. For a total coating over 10 mils dry, use a fine brush blast (shot blast). Apply in 50-90 degrees F with relative humidity between 50-80%. Humidity content may affect set-up time. Allow air flow while keeping from moisture for 72 hours. Maintain temperatures and air conditions within the recommended ranges during the application and the curing process times. Too thin or too thick of an application or an application to a damp and/or uncured substrate /finish may cause product failure. When using a substrate or finish other than those listed, apply a test area to determine suitability and compatibility. Apply a small amount of product to a test card for reference, marker testing, and warranty purposes; write the location and date on the test card.
5) REPARE, RECOAT OR TOPCOAT: Review painted surface for dry-brush/dry-roll areas. Recoat when the product becomes dry (estimated time may be significantly different between coated materials and ambient conditions). Recoat to total recommended square footage coverage. If the product becomes damaged or to repair: repair to substrate, confirm that the area is clean and apply product over existing product. Recoat to recommended square footage coverage. Test for suitability and desirability. The product may attach to itself without sanding in some applications, medium grit sanding is recommended. If sanded, remove all dust and moisture.
6) CLEANUP: Allow utensils to dry then dispose excess product, brushes, and installation materials according to local and federal directives/ordinances. Use xylene or ketone solvents to clean wet product utensils. Use new installation utensils (tray, roller, etc) for each kit/container.
7) REMOVING / CLEANING MARKINGS: Caution! Some cleaners may affect the product’s transparency/color. Test non-listed cleaners on test card before using. Test all markers on test card before using markers. Use only dry erase markers, dry erase erasers, regular white board cleaners and/or isopropyl alcohol for seven (7) days after installation; remove dry erase markings each day for the first seven (7) days. After seven (7) days remove: Dry Erase and Low-odor Dry Erase with typical dry erase erasers and dry erase surface cleaners (water and/or isopropyl alcohol depending on dry erase marker products used); Permanent Marker, Regular Marker and Spray Paint: wet with isopropyl alcohol (70% or 92%) and wipe clean with dry paper towel/cloth, wet with Goof-off ™ aerosol spray cleaner and wipe clean with a dry paper towel/cloth, remove Permanent Marker, spray paint and difficult markers within hours after use; Regular marker and crayon: wipe with dry cloth/paper towel. For general cleaning, other markings and residue: window cleaner with ammonia. Difficult residue or for unknown markings use Goof-off ™ aerosol spray cleaner and wipe clean with a dry paper towel/cloth.
8) RESTRICTIONS: Keep product free of contact for 24 hours after product is dry and slick to the touch before using dry erase markers. Keep product free of permanent marker, regular marker, and spray paint for seven (7) days before the short- term use of these items are removable.
9) BEGIN DRY ERASE MARKER AND DRY ERASE CRAYON USE: Use regular Dry Erase Markers, Low-odor Dry Erase Markers and Dry Erase crayons 24 hours after the surface becomes dry and slick the touch. The product becomes fully cured in approximately 72 hours with more removable attributes after 7 days. Cure times may vary due to application and environmental conditions.
NOTICE TO BUYER: DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND
LIMITATIONS ON OUR LIABILITY
We warrant that our products are manufactured to strict quality assurance specifications and that the information supplied by us is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Such information supplied about our products is not a representation or a warranty. Test to determine the suitability and desirability of the product for each surface, usage rate, and volume. Listed physical properties are typical and should not be construed as specifications.
NO WARRANTY IS MADE, EXPRESSED, OR IMPLIED, REGARDING SUCH OTHER INFORMATION, THE DATA ON WHICH IT IS BASED, OR THE RESULTS FROM ITS USE. NO WARRANTY IS MADE, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, THAT THE PRODUCT IS OR SHALL BE MERCHANTABLE OR THAT OUR PRODUCT SHALL BE FIT FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NO WARRANTY IS MADE THAT THE USE OF SUCH INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCT WILL NOT INFRINGE UPON ANY PATENT.
We shall have no liability for incidental or consequential damages, direct or indirect. Our liability is limited to the net selling price of our product or to replace the product, at our option; less any shipping and restocking fees and as stated in our activated Warranty if activated within the time allotment specified. Limit of one claim per purchase , multiple units are considered one purchase. Acceptance of delivery or use of our product means that you have accepted the terms of this warranty whether or not purchase orders or other documents state terms that vary from this warranty. No representative is authorized to make any representation or warranty or assume any other liability on our behalf with any sales of our products. Installation by only qualified professional personnel in controlled environments. If one or more clauses is designated as stricken, all other clauses will remain valid.
Our products contain chemicals that may CAUSE SERIOUS PHYSICAL INJURY. BEFORE USING, READ THE MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET AND FOLLOW ALL PRODUCT INFORMATION INCLUDING THE PRECAUTIONS TO PREVENT BODILY AND OTHER HARM.
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint / anti-graffiti paint
Frequently Asked Questions
-about your purchase of 1-part Indoor / Outdoor Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint.
I was looking at some other dry-erase paint brands that have to be combined together and then applied in a certain period of time or else it will set-up in my paint tray whether I apply it or not. Does Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint (indoor/outdoor) have to be mixed and then all be used at one time?
This Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint indoor/outdoor dry erase paint is a one-part product, nothing to combine, just open and apply! Simply pour out the amount you desire, tightly re-seal the container, and use the remainder within two days after opening!
I also heard about some products that need to be applied over a primer; do I need to prime my already painted wall? Does Expressions™ dry erase paint have to be applied over a primer?
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint applies directly over your top-coat latex paint (and also over other numerous surfaces).
Some other products also say that I need to use a conditioner after it is applied? And then continue using a conditioner to keep it erasable?
Save money and the hassle! Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is a conditioner-free product!
I have a chalkboard that needs to become a dry erase board and was thinking about using Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint. Will that work?
Yes! Use Kilz or Zinsser (available at most hardware stores, Home Depot and Lowe’s) for the primer coat and then apply your White Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint. Allow the primer to cure for two (2) days, cover with top-coat paint, allow paint to dry and cure, then paint your White Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint. Wala! You now have a new dry erase board!
Can I use regular paint trays and brushes to apply the product?
Yes, you can paint directly from a regular plastic tray or a plastic tray liner (recyclable #5). Paint brushes can be any good quality all-purpose paint brush.
Can I use a roller? How many coats will it take?
Yes, you can also use a regular foam roller or a low nap, zero lint roller for finishes. Most people use a regular foam roller. The number of coats is determined by the substrate and the thickness of each coat to achieve the matching coverage area. Most smoothly painted walls will receive one coat. Apply by rolling (and back-rolling) in multiple directions over the surface, apply evenly and completely avoiding thin-applied and skipped areas, to equal the total square foot coverage rate stated on your container. Keep the coverage even, ensuring that all areas are covered to a thickness that protects the surface. Some applicators may retain more product than other applicators affecting spread rates. A good way to know the coat rate is that it does not leave runs or drips and you are covering about 3 square feet per ounce. Just simply apply the amount of product that it takes to use all of the product stated for the coverage area that you want. For example: for 25 square feet of coverage uses about 9 ounces (25 square feet / 3 ounces per square foot = 8.33 ounces) of applied dry erase coating. If this is your first time using the product, we recommend covering the wall surface under your dry erase area in case you do experience any runs.
With the wide range of markings that can be removed from Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint, can I use it as an anti-graffiti paint? Since the paint is transparent it will allow the surface color to still be seen! However, the surface that I want to cover is kind of rough, not smooth. Can Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint be used as an anti-graffiti paint on that type of surface?
Yes. Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is an excellent anti-graffiti paint. The more porous the surface the more coats it may take. You mentioned that the surface has a color; if the surface has been painted or has a sealant, it will probably cover in just one coat; if the surface is like untreated concrete or brick, it may take additional coats based on its surface porosity.
I want to continue using the same brush for the number of coats; if I leave it out, won’t it dry? What can I do so I can use the same brush all day?
We do recommend replacing the brush or roller about 2 hours after starting to use the roller or brush or when product begins to set-up on the applicator. Always start with a new roller or brush for each kit or container. Your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is a specifically formulated product so a new roller or brush will make certain that there will not be any contamination with dried product or with other products.
How do I clean-up or dispose of the paint tray liner and brush?
Simply allow the tray and brush to dry and dispose the dried products according to local and federal codes/regulations.
Do I stir or shake the product before using?
Stirring or shaking the product is not necessary. If you do desire to mix the contents, we recommend stirring the product so that there is not any air being mixed into the product.
How smooth of a surface do I need before making it a dry erase surface?
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint will fill most smooth paint-roller textures. Remember that the surface needs to be smooth enough to write on and erase. Expressions™ Dry Erase-Paint has a self-leveling attribute which will help create a smooth/erasable texture from most low-nap paint-rollers. If the wall has a wall textured finish, simply lightly sand down the texture to a smooth surface, remove the dust, make certain the surface is dry, then paint with your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint ! A typical lightly sanded dust-free paint-rolled wall will work perfectly!
I have a freshly painted wall in a room that I want to make dry erasable. How soon can I apply the Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint to the latex painted surface?
We recommend 28+ days after the latex paint has dried for most paint manufacturers (check with the manufacturer for their specific cure and completed off-gassing times).. The paint layer needs to complete off-gassing and be fully cured. The dry erase coating creates a sealed surface, so make certain that the paint layer is stable before sealing. Check with the manufacturer of the wall paint for their specifics on cure and off-gassing times.
Can I place Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint directly over a primer sealer or does it need to be top coat latex paint?
Apply Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint directly over top coat latex paint.
Can I also apply the dry erase surface over acrylic or oil-based paints? If so, how long do I need to wait before applying the Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint surface?
Yes, there are numerous wall paints that you can use in addition to latex paint. Ask your paint supplier for the amount of time their product needs to dry, complete off-gassing, and fully cure; then apply your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint.
I am interested in painting my chalkboard and making it a white dry erase surface. What do I need to do?
Prime the chalkboard with a color primer and top coat to your desired color (white in your case) . Wait until these paint layers have dried, completed off-gassing, and cured; then paint with Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint. You can use either the transparent or the white Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint to achieve the color of your choice!
What can you tell me about the test card?
When you apply each container of product to your surface, paint a test card, date it with the location. Use your test card to determine when the wall is ready to write on. Also use your test card to test markers and cleaners before use. Using the test card will help to keep your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint surface in premium condition; plus, it will alert you to defective and incompatible markers and cleaners before use! An additional test card is also needed if you activate the warranty (see warranty for warranty details)!
I have some runs that occurred when I painted the surface; what can I do to repair my surface?
Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is easily repairable. Simply use a sheet of ‘medium’ grit sandpaper and smooth out any runs or air entrapments, remove the dust and then recoat. It is that easy!
How do I prepare the room? The instructions talk about “fresh air ventilation”, what does that mean?
To help reduce odor and fumes, the room needs fresh air circulating in the room. This can be accomplished by having an open outside window. Keep all ignition sources (spark producing items, heating coils, access to furnace ducts) from the open and curing product. Keep all ignition sources sealed away from the drying and stored product. Additional steps include keeping the door to the room closed and closing/covering air conditioning and heating vents in the room to also help keep dust and other surface contaminates from the product while it is being installed and while it cures.
Keep the room and surface free from any interaction with people and pets until the product is ready for use. Use drop cloths and all safety measures (including appropriate eyewear, gloves and protected clothing) as stated in the MSDS. Keep all of the containers clean and closed tightly when not dispensing. Allow spilled material, like on a drop cloth, to cure via air exposure before discarding. We always recommend keeping pregnant women, children, animals, plants and anyone who may not be competent with the product away from open, stored and curing product.
Should I run a fan over the surface to help it cure? Should I use a heater in the room?
The product is designed to dry in a regular air environment. Placing a fan on the product may cause the product to dry unevenly and may cause problems. The room does need to be well ventilated. Keep all ignition sources (spark producing items, heating coils, access to furnace ducts) away from the open and curing product. Keep all ignition sources sealed away from the drying and stored product, this includes a heater. Additional steps include keeping the door to the room closed and closing/covering air conditioning and heating vents in the room while the product is being installed and while it cures.
How soon can I begin writing on my Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint when I apply it in regular room temperature and humidity?
You can begin writing with dry erase markers and dry erase crayons on your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint just 24 hours after it is dry to the touch!
Some other dry erase paints say that to only use regular dry erase markers. Can I use low-odor dry erase markers on this surface?
Yes, you can use low-odor dry erase markers on your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint surface!
Sometimes low-odor markers can vary in performance between the different colors and the variance can be different with different packages. We do recommend testing the markers on a test card or in a test area before using. Your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint surface is ready for dry erase use in just 24 hours, but it is fully cured in 72 hours. A marker that may have difficulty erasing at 24 hours after installation may erase better in 72 hours after installation. If a particular marker is still difficult to erase after 72 hours, the marker may be defective or there may be a different issue with that particular marker.
When can permanent marker, spray paint and regular marker be removed?
Permanent marker, regular marker and spray paint markings made three days after installation can be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol (70% or 92%) or Goof-off ™ aerosol spray cleaner. Goof-off ™ aerosol will also remove numerous unknown residues and difficult markings. For best results, remove permanent marker and spray paint as soon as possible after the permanent marker or spray paint has been used.
Will the dry erase board cleaner available at most stores work on the surface?
Yes, you can use traditional dry erase board cleaner on the surface. You can make your own cleaner using half 70% isopropyl alcohol and half water.
You can also use other items!
An inexpensive way to help keep your surface clean of most general surface dirt is to use a glass cleaner with ammonia (like Windex with Ammonia-D but most any brand will work). Goof-off ™ aerosol will also remove other numerous unknown residues and difficult markings. Just wipe the surface with a water-wet cloth after using cleaners to help remove any cleaner residue.
I got something that I cannot identify on the surface, what can I use to remove it?
Goof-off ™ in the aerosol can be used three days after your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint has been applied to your painted surface. It is easy to use, just spray it on a paper towel and wipe. After cleaning wipe the surface with a water-wet cloth after using cleaners to help remove any cleaner residue.
Can I use Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint 1-part dry erase paint outdoors?
Yes, you can use Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint 1-part dry erase paint outdoors! Specific information for prep and installation is in the Installation Guide, MSDS and Product Information Sheet!
Can I apply Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint on doors and cabinetry? How about on my refrigerator?
Yes, Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint can be applied on doors, cabinetry and even refrigerators! Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint can be applied over a number of surfaces. We recommend testing the product at an inconspicuous area first to test for compatibility and desirability.
What do I do if I decide that I want to make the dry erase wall area a regular painted wall again?
Lightly sand the area, use a primer for slick/glossy areas and then paint as you would any other wall area.
I have some product left and it might be a couple of days before I use the rest of the product. I remember storing a half can of regular latex paint and it hardened in the container, what can I do to minimize the product setting-up in the container when I store the dry erase paint?
Simply reseal the lid and store in a cool dry area! If the product skins over, remove the skin, strain, and apply the remaining product.
I have an existing dry erase board; can I use Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint to repair the area?
Yes, Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint makes an excellent repair product for some surfaces. Some surfaces can be simply coated, some may need to be lightly sanded then re-coated, and some surfaces may need to be painted with a latex/oil-based paint (see above) and then painted with Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint.
Since everything is coming off the surface, can I make a grid or have titles that will stay and be visible through the transparent surface?
Yes! There are a couple of options:
Option 1 You can paint the lines or graphics on the surface before covering it with your transparent Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint; or
Option 2 Wait until the newly applied dry erase surface has just become dry to the touch and then make the lines and write the words directly on the surface with any color Sharpie Permanent Marker. As your Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint cures, it will infuse the markings into the surface.
Is Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint covered by a life-time warranty?
Yes, Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is covered by a life-time warranty! Simply apply some of the paint to two test cards: keep one for yourself so you can test various markers, cleaning products, and other writing instruments to test before use; then send the other card to Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint with your completed warranty document within two (2) weeks of installation. The warranty covers indoor locations; see the warranty information for more details. Contact Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint to receive your emailed warranty certificate with all the warranty details and additional information.
Is Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint made in the United States?
Yes, Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint is made in the United States with both granted patents (Patent Numbers 9,434,843, and 9,868,865) and an additional patent pending..
If you find new uses for Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint
please write to us and let us know; we will pass the information along!
We are always interested in the creative uses
from our imaginative Expressions™ Dry Erase Paint family!